What is United Kingdom?
United Kingdom is in the continent Europe(north-western), capital city London and has 4 administrative divisions:
- Northern Ireland
The Common Confusion:
There is an independent country called Republic of Ireland which is not a part of United Kingdom. Northern Ireland is a part along with England, Scotland and Wales which form Great Britain and that collectively with Northern Ireland comes under the United Kingdom. In nutshell it is “United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland” & that is also the official name.
Facts about United Kingdom:
- It is said around 1922 UK’s empire covered almost quarter of world’s total land, and it is the biggest empire till now in the history
- Capital: London is the capital of England and Belfast, Cardiff and Edinburgh being the capital of Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland respectively.
- UK is surrounded by Atlantic Ocean, English Channel, North Sea and Irish Sea.
- According to 2010 census population of UK was 62 million.
- UK driving side is Left.
- Official language of UK is English & currency is GBP (pound sterling).
- UK is a developing country and has rank 7 in world’s nominal GDP
- Type of Government: Unitary Parliamentary Constitutional Monarchy
- In 2014 public polls will be held in Scotland to decide the future as a free nation or still with the tag of being under UK.
- 2014 Commonwealth Games will be held in Glasgow, Scotland (i.e. United Kingdom)